As part of LAO’s emergency response to the COVID pandemic, lawyers will now be able to bill (as of July 26, 2020) Legal Aid Online for:
1. COVID JPT
• Matters must be set down for either a preliminary inquiry or trial, and the JPT must occur between March 16 and October 31, 2020.
• Coverage is limited to one special COVID JPT per proceeding, however, counsel may still request second JPT coverage for matters set down for a preliminary inquiry or trial in the Ontario Court of Justice. This is in addition to JPT and Superior Court of Justice pre-trial coverage available on all criminal certificates.
• For the first JPT request, if eligible, coverage will be automatically added to the certificate within 24 hours of the request. Subsequent requests for JPT coverage will be routed to respective District worklists.
2. Myers (s.525) reviews
• Matters are not subject to merit testing.
• For the first request, coverage will be automatically added to the certificate within 24 hours of the request. Subsequent requests will be routed to respective District worklists.
Further information may be obtained at:
In briefs for lawyers
COVID-19: Ongoing supports for lawyers
Please circulate to your members
Katie W. Robinette
Need answers to COVID-19 issues regarding the practice of law? CLICK HERE.